:THE WEEKND: KISSLAND = DISSAPOINTMENT:


I've just listened to the whole of The Weeknd's new album Kiss Land and it's safe to say I'm unsurprisingly but unfortunately disappointed, again. Before writing this I checked all other respectable music blogs to see what they had to say and it appears I'm not the only one so Ima go ahead and word vomit.

Confidently being one of The Weeknd's number 1 fans in 2011, House Of Balloons rocked up 22 year old world. I had it on everyday and there still isn't one track on that album that is overplayed. The music video to The Knowing will forever be my favourite and Wicked Games is my personal best, but it was after this that things started to slide. For me I feel like Abel Tesfaye did the opposite to Drake by starting from the top and now he's here. Each release after House Of Balloons seemed a little less original and enjoyable with a little less magic. The trilogy on the whole was good but there's only a few tracks off Thursday and Echoes Of Silence that matched any of the tracks on the first.



Then we had the music videos. They became unimaginative and ruined the songs for me, especially Wicked Games and Rolling Stone. The personal appearances that Abel put in also were no longer rare and his mysterious identity that had once been intriguing was now smack bang in my face, and it wasn't that pretty.


I don't want to bash The Weeknd too much as his music is still very different from your average RnB and I somewhat enjoy his imagery. I'm just disappointed that's all, but that's so much worse as any boyfriend will tell you that they've learnt from listening to females.

Kissland is cool but it's boring. It's really poppy and lacks the mysteriousness, darkness and sexiness that once blew sexuality active peoples minds. It's no longer mood music that people choose to get high to in the bath or have on in the bedroom, it's just around the internet. Listen to the new Kissland here on Soundcloud and make up your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment