"Familiarity Breeds Contempt"


I like to think I'm quite a sociable person. If I'm alone sometimes I can get agitated but then I'll go out and all I'll be thinking about is how much I want to hoover my stairs and listen to music in the bath...alone. I know a lot of outgoing people that look forward to their one on one time with themselves and I'm increasingly keen on it at times. Here's something interesting I found on a study researching the saying "Familiarity Breeds Contempt."

Most people assume that learning more about a new person will lead to a greater liking where in fact, on average, we like other people less the more we know about them. An interesting study is the 'Mere-exposure effect' which is a social psychological finding demonstrating that just being exposed to someone causes us to like them more. 

A good example of this is a study by Moreland and Beach who introduced four fake students to a large college course. Each of the fake students - chosen to be of similar appearance - attended the course to varying degrees, some going to many classes, others to few; but none interacted with the other students. At the end of the course the one student most people preferred, despite never having talked to her, was the one who had attended the most classes. 

 If the mere 'exposure effect' holds for developing social relationships then, as we come to know more about others, we should come to like them more but alas this is not necessarily so. In the next part of the study by Norton, participants were given a list of traits about another person and asked how much they would like that person. The results showed that the more information people had about others the less they liked them. Once we perceive a dissimilarity, it's usually downhill from there. Even traits we might have liked, or been neutral about before, now get the thumbs down. 
Oh dear. waa. Don't get too down about this, it's not speaking for every occasion or friendship it was merely an observation so don't be calling off any engagements or house parties coz that's silly.

OK and for a perfect example of a feminine filled ridiculous social situation going wrong please watch this hilarious clip of 2 women beefing it out about who's (husbands) richer than the other on Real Housewives of Atlanta. I don't care if your a boy, I don't care if your not gay either just watch it.
 I cant understand a majority of what they're saying, it sounds like angry chickens but I can grasp the words $monay, honay, uglay and bitch.$


No comments:

Post a Comment